Historical Markers

Union Meeting House (Organized 1790)

Location: Hwy 301 (7 miles NE of Statesboro at Old Savannah Rd), Statesboro.

County: Bulloch

Coordinates: 32.545883, -81.72298

Dedicated: 1953

Marker Type: Georgia Historical Commission

MARKER TEXT

UNION MEETING HOUSE

(Organized 1790)

Three miles east of this point, on the old River Road, is located Union Meeting House (Methodist), the oldest church in Bulloch County, and one of the oldest churches in Georgia remaining continuously active since its organization. Title was acquired from the State by grant to Joseph Jackson, Jarvis Jackson, Lemuel Williams, Griffin Merrill and Joshua Hodges, Trustees, dated September 1, 1794, recorded in Screven County, the land being then a part of that county. Plat made about that time by William Blair, an Irishman, showed the meeting house already located on the land, indicating its earlier origin.

Out of this church and community have come many devout men and women. Among the earlier members was the famed Lydia Anciaux, widow of Col. Nicholas Anciaux, a Frenchman and Revolutionary War hero, whose daughter became the wife of Senator John McPherson Berrien, Attorney General in President Andrew Jackson’s cabinet. Legend says that Bishop Francis Asbury preached there and Lorenzo Dow also visited and preached there.


016-1     Georgia Historical Commission     1953

The Bulloch County Historical Society’s historical markers are funded by the
Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.

Join the Bulloch County Historical Society.
Active for over 40 years, the Society is dedicated to the idea that knowledge, especially history of one’s community, is key to our democratic way of life. Join us today as a individual, family, or corporate member.

©2017 by Bulloch County Historical Society