Location: North Main Street at Courtland Street,
Courthouse Square, Statesboro
Coordinates: 32.449452, -81.783298
Dedicated: 1956, Re-dedicated:
Marker Type: Georgia Historical Commission
Bulloch County was created by Act. of Feb. 8, 1776 from Bryan and Screven Counties. Originally, it contained part of Evans, Candler, Emanuel and Jenkins Counties. It was named for Archibald Bulloch (1730-1777), Revolutionary leader, elected Pres. of the Executive Council of Georgia, Jan. 20, 1776. He was first Provisional Governor of Georgia, Jan. 22, 1776 until his death, Feb. 22, 1777.
First Count officers, commissioned March 25, 1796, were: Charles McCall, Jr., Sheriff; Andrew E. Wells, Clerk Sup. Ct.; George Elliott, Clerk Inf. Ct.; Francis Wells, Register of Probate; James Bird, Surveyor; Garrott Williams, Coroner.
016-2B GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956
The Bulloch County Historical Society’s historical markers are funded by the
Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.