Blue Star Memorial Highway
Location: Ogeechee Technical Institute, US 301,
South of Statesboro, Georgia
Coordinates: 32.396234, -81.820836
Marker Type: National Council of State Garden Clubs
BLUE STAR MEMORIAL HIGHWAY
A tribute to the Armed Forces that have defended the
United States of America
Sponsored by Bulloch Council of Garden Clubs and Oleander District of the Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. in cooperation with
Ogeechee Technical Institute
Georgia Department of Transportation
Honoring Those Who Have Served Our Country
The Blue Star Memorial Program honors service men and women. This program began with the planting of 8,000 Dogwood trees by the New Jersey Council of Garden Clubs in 1944 as a living memorial to veterans of World War II. In 1945, the National Council of State Garden Clubs adopted the program and began a Blue Star Highway system, which covers thousands of miles across the Continental United States, Alaska and Hawaii. A large metal Blue Star Memorial Highway Marker was placed at appropriate locations along the way.
The program was expanded to include all men and women who had served, were serving or would serve in the armed services of the United States. Memorial Markers and By-Way markers were added to the Highway Markers, to be used at locations such as National cemeteries, parks, veteran’s facilities and gardens.
The Blue Star became an icon in World War II and was seen on flags and banners in homes for sons and daughters away at war, as well as in churches and businesses. This program has been active all through the years to the present, a fitting tribute always and especially now.
The Bulloch County Historical Society’s historical markers are funded by the
Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.