Historical Markers

Pulaski, Georgia

Location: Intersection of Main and Railways Streets, Pulaski, Georgia

County: Candler

Coordinates: 32.390655, -81.956640

Dedicated:

Marker Type: Bulloch County Historical Society

MARKER TEXT (FRONT)

Pulaski, Georgia

Named after Polish Count Casimir Pulaski, the Town of Pulaski was established in western Bulloch County in 1900. It was a railroad town and in 1901 was included in the passenger train service from Savannah to Dublin. 

 

H. Lehman Franklin and George O. Franklin purchased land from local farmers J. H. Warren and J. W. Williams and built a hotel and several store fronts.  The community supported warehouses, general mercantile, a cotton gin, drug store, shoe store, barber shop and a turpentine factory.  In 1924, the largest employer was the turpentine distillery.  Barrels of its product were sent to Savannah by rail.  Dr. J. Z. Patrick was the community physician until his death in 1953.

(Continued on other side)

Sponsored by Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation

MARKER TEXT (BACK)

Pulaski, Georgia

(Continued on other side)

Pulaski was incorporated in 1905.  Two banks, Citizens Bank of Pulaski (1907-1911) and The Farmer's Bank (1912-1929) operated here.  Electricity came during 1929-30 and city water in 1965.  The first school and gymnasium were built in 1920. The Pulaski Missionary Baptist Church was established in 1888. The Mt. Zion Methodist Church was built to serve the local African American community. 

 

In 1914, when Candler County was created, Pulaski was appropriated from Bulloch County.  With the consolidation of schools, demise of the railroad and better highways, Pulaski is no longer the busy hub of activity it was in former years. 

Sponsored by Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation

The Bulloch County Historical Society’s historical markers are funded by the
Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.

Join the Bulloch County Historical Society.
Active for over 40 years, the Society is dedicated to the idea that knowledge, especially history of one’s community, is key to our democratic way of life. Join us today as a individual, family, or corporate member.

©2017 by Bulloch County Historical Society