Location: Intersection of Turner Street and US Hwy 80, just inside the entrance to the cemetery, Statesboro, Georgia
Coordinates: 32.450475, -81.773024
Marker Type: Bulloch County Historical Society
Eastside Cemetery was established on this site in 1889 in response to citizens’ request for a central location for the burial of the dead. Early cemeteries, known is burying grounds, dotted fields of early Bulloch County family farms. Majestic magnolias, cedars, and crepe myrtles were planted to mark those sacred sites. With the dramatic growth of the City of Statesboro in the 1880’s citizens sought to establish a city Cemetery.
Although the city had two prominent cemeteries, the John Wise burying grounds on South Main St. and the Nevils burying grounds on North Main St., a group of citizens met on May 17, 1889, “to take steps in locating a place for the burial of the dead.” They selected this site which today is the city owned Eastside Cemetery with an entrance on Northside Drive, East.
The first citizen of Statesboro to be buried in the new cemetery was Mr. Willie Heddlestone who was born on April 17, 1856, and died on March 8, 1890. Other early burials included a number of bodies moved from the Wise and Nevil burying grounds. On July 25, 1956, the City of Statesboro assumed responsibility for the beautification of the Eastside Cemetery.
Supported by the Jack N & Addie D. Averitt Foundation
Bulloch County Historical Society
The Bulloch County Historical Society’s historical markers are funded by the
Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.