Historical Markers

Akins' Mill Pond & The Families of Akins' Mill Pond

Location: 1601 Akins Pond Rd. Statesboro, Georgia

County: Bulloch

Coordinates: 32.514227, -81.815296

Dedicated: May 22, 2014

Marker Type: Bulloch County Historical Society

MARKER TEXT (FRONT)

AKINS' MILL POND

About 1883, using a narrow gauge railroad with mule drawn hopper cars, Green Barnes built a dam on the headwaters of Mill Creek, creating a 300-acre pond, which soon came into the possession of Barnes’ son-in-law, Welcome Amos Akins. Amos Akins built the mill house in 1907, and in 1910, he opened a pavilion for dances and public gatherings, lighted by one of the first Delco light plants in the area. The pond was a popular swimming place and local churches conducted baptisms in its waters. A large turban turned by water released from the pond powered the mill. The top millstone weighed and ton and could be adjusted to grind corn into fine and coarse particles. The mill ground grain ginned cotton and sawed timber. Tuesdays and Saturdays were grinding days. The great stones crushed grain into grits, meal or chicken feed. The gin could clean a bale of short staple cotton in an hour, but it could clean only four bales of long staple Sea Island cotton in a day. Akins Mill ginned its last bale of cotton in 1930. Eventually a second saw mill, turpentine still and community store were opened in the area. When Amos Akins died in 1945, his son, Fred M. Akins, operated the mill until 1948.

Supported by the Jack N & Addie D. Averitt Foundation

MARKER TEXT (BACK)

THE FAMILIES OF AKINS' MILL POND

The families associated with the Akins’ Mill Pond are among the oldest in Bulloch County. Green Berry Barnes (1838 – 1891), who built the dam creating the large pond, was a former Confederate soldier who served in the 9th Ga. Regt. Severely wounded at the Battle of 2nd Manassas in 1862, he was sent home as an invalid. He married Missouri Beasley (1843 – 1925) in March 1865. A product of this union was Missouri Magnolia “Maggie” Barnes (1877 – 1959), who married Welcome Amos Akins (1877 – 1945) in 1901. Amos Akins parents were William Robert Atkins (1844 – 1902) and Francis Hart (1848 – 1905). Amos Akins was a Master farmer who won awards for his progressive farming methods. He operated the mill until his death in 1945. Amos’ son, Fred Morgan Akins (1905 – 1984), operated the mill until 1948. Fred Akins married Rubye Clyde Deal (1906 – 1993), the daughter of Milton Deal (1884 – 1942) and Alma Bland (1888 – 1965). Fred and Ruby bore two sons, Paul S. Akins and Donald Wayne Adkins. Paul, an engineer, converted to the old mill into a private residence. Many other old Bulloch County families are associated with the mill, including the Edenfields, Cannons and Mallards. 

Supported by the Jack N & Addie D. Averitt Foundation

The Bulloch County Historical Society’s historical markers are funded by the
Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.

Join the Bulloch County Historical Society.
Active for over 40 years, the Society is dedicated to the idea that knowledge, especially history of one’s community, is key to our democratic way of life. Join us today as a individual, family, or corporate member.

©2017 by Bulloch County Historical Society