Location: West Vine Street, Statesboro, Georgia
Coordinates: 32.448363, -81.784505
Marker Type: Bulloch County Historical Society
MARKER TEXT (Front)
Blue Front was the social and business hub for the African American community of Statesboro in the 1930's and 1940's. It was located on the north side of W. Vine Street between S. Walnut Street and the alley just east of this site. By the close of the 1950's most store fronts were empty and all businesses had left by 1970.
(Continued on other side)
MARKER TEXT (Back)
(Continued from other side)
According to oral histories and city directories these were some of the businesses located here. Thurmon Powell was the owner of B & P Barber shop, later owned by James Robertson. Fred Pughsley owned a tailor shop and dry cleaners. John Hagins had a restaurant that served chicken and fish sandwiches. It also had a pool hall. Floyd Bellinger owned B & B Laundromat. Others were Naths Billiards, Trading Post, R & R Pawn Shop and M. E. Alderman Roofing Co.
The Bulloch County Historical Society’s historical markers are funded by the
Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.