Historical Markers

Blue Front

Location: West Vine Street, Statesboro, Georgia

County: Bulloch

Coordinates: 32.448363, -81.784505

Marker Type: Bulloch County Historical Society

MARKER TEXT (Front)

BLUE FRONT

Blue Front was the social and business hub for the African American community of Statesboro in the 1930's and 1940's. It was located on the north side of W. Vine Street between S. Walnut Street and the alley just east of this site. By the close of the 1950's most store fronts were empty and all businesses had left by 1970.

(Continued on other side)

MARKER TEXT (Back)

BLUE FRONT
(Continued from other side)

According to oral histories and city directories these were some of the businesses located here. Thurmon Powell was the owner of B & P Barber shop, later owned by James Robertson. Fred Pughsley owned a tailor shop and dry cleaners. John Hagins had a restaurant that served chicken and fish sandwiches. It also had a pool hall. Floyd Bellinger owned B & B Laundromat. Others were Naths Billiards, Trading Post, R & R Pawn Shop and M. E. Alderman Roofing Co.

The Bulloch County Historical Society’s historical markers are funded by the
Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.

Join the Bulloch County Historical Society.
Active for over 40 years, the Society is dedicated to the idea that knowledge, especially history of one’s community, is key to our democratic way of life. Join us today as a individual, family, or corporate member.

©2017 by Bulloch County Historical Society

Blue Front (Front)

Bulloch County Historical Marker